Friday, June 4, 2010

end of an era (m)

Today is Harrison's last day of school.  I've been driving him and/or Sam to school every day since September, 1991.  Almost 19 years.  This summer, he will get his driver's license which means that the next time he goes to school, he will drive himself there.

Looking back over the years, the mornings were beyond hectic with me waking kids up, getting them dressed, getting them fed and off to school.  We would sing songs on the way in.  Bye, Bye Miss American Pie was a favorite.  The trick was not just to know all the words but to get the timing  right.  The song requires patience.  Once, "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" came on the radio. Sam had a classmate named Remy, short for Jeremiah.  He thought that was a hoot.  I bought the song on CD so we could sing that everyday.

When Sam was in 7th grade, I had to take him to the center of town, wait for the bus to take him to his new school, and then drive back to our house to pick up Harrison to get him to another part of town and then get me into work by 8:30.  My co-workers would be sitting at their desks, eating bagels and drinking coffee while reading the Wall Street Journal.  I would blow in looking like Diary of a Mad Housewife.

When Harrison was just 5 months old, I had a trip to Europe...London, Madrid and Paris.  Sam understood a little bit (I'm going to London to see the Queen is what I told him).  When I picked Harrison up at my mother's, he clutched the fabric of my blouse and wouldn't let go of me for two days.

It all went by so fast.  Like a blur.

I'm glad I'm getting healthier and slowing down the pace of my life.  I'd like to savor whatever time I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment