Tuesday, June 15, 2010

morning walk (lyn)

I feel healthy being on the Cape.  North Falmouth is beautiful, and my parents live in this little enclave called Wild Harbor.  It’s a spectacular area with beautiful homes and people of all ages.  Every family has a golf cart and everyone uses one to get to Wild Harbor's small private beach, where the waves are gentle and the water warm.  And every morning, starting as early as six, people are out running, walking, or biking. 

My mother is never late for anything.  She walks almost every morning with “the girls,” her friends June and Dorothy.  I’m part of the group in the summer.  So at 6:40 this morning, my mom comes in to wake me up, “I’m leaving at 7.”  “Ok, I’ll be ready.”  Then she decides to leave early, since “I’ve been up for hours.  I think I’ll leave now.”  So she does, and I catch up with her a few minutes later. 

The “girls” are very complimentary, as is my mother.  “Your legs are so thin; you look gorgeous.”  They are all nice.  As we walk our 3-miles through Wild Harbor, we catch up on the new restaurants that have opened.  Local gossip.  And the magnificent new house, with 87 windows, that just went up on the “connah lot on the beach.” 

“Who lives there?” I ask.  “Oh, a young guy just moved in.  He bought the house that was on the lot, razed it, and then rebuilt a new house.”

I wonder what this young guy must do to have afforded a $4million house.  “He’s in jewelry.”  Then I think maybe he has kids Alexander’s age.  “No, his grandkids are younger.”  Grandkids?  How old is this young guy?

In his 60’s.  And just like that, I too am young.

No comments:

Post a Comment