Thursday, June 24, 2010

overheard at the gym (m)

I've been doing PT with Merlin and working out with Ali twice per week-- each.  This is my fourth straight week and I haven't missed one time.  This is unusual for me.  I'd like to say it's pure discipline (also unusual for me) but I overheard something today that gave me insight into why I go.

First, Merlin.  This one's easy.  Despite 40 minutes of exercise--bike, leg curls, leg presses, "crabs" (don't ask) and hip exercises, the session ends with one of his incredible massages.  Ten minutes of bliss.  Then I get taped up (literally) and walk out of there feeling like an athlete.

Now for Ali.  I don't really enjoy the workout.  It's hard work.  She has me on the rowing machine, the bike and about 10 other contraptions (one of which I call the mammogram because it compresses "the girls").  Everything hurts and she pushes me until I feel like I'm about to have a stroke.  We do laugh alot, so maybe that's it.  Or so I thought.

Today, while we were walking over to some instrument of torture, one of the other personal trainers whom they all refer to as "Cindy Lou Who" (blonde braids, big blue eyes, turned up nose, two bright pink spots of rouge and a squeaky voice) turned to us and said "Would you two please stop talking about food?  You're making the rest of us hungry! That's all you guys ever talk about."

Ali and I looked at each other.  Do we talk about food?  All the time?  Then we thought about it.  When Cindy Lou Who stopped us, I was giving Ali a recipe for this vegetable salad I had in Sorrento....just before that, Ali was telling me about a restaurant in New York she recently visited....before that, we were talking about dinner last night....before that, well I imagine it had something to do with food.

And that is why I don't mind the work outs.  The conversation usually is about my favorite topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment