Friday, June 11, 2010

a chance encounter (m)

I have an acquaintance.  She used to live near my old house.  She is a photographer and would take pictures of my boys every year.  I have framed each one and have them in a gallery, going up the staircase in our home.

I've been thinking of her and have been unable to track her down.  She's not listed in the phone directory and doesn't have a website for her photography business.  She and her husband built a farmhouse somewhere in the "country"....one of those western towns in Massachusetts where people go to raise horses.  I don't even know the name of the town.

It's been two years since I've last seen her.  She's been on my mind alot lately.

Yesterday, I went to a grocery store I seldom go to.  There, while shopping for lettuce, I hear my name being called.  I look up and it's her! 

She looked at me and said "you've lost alot of weight."

I thanked her for the compliment and took a good look at her.

She looked tired.

"You look good, too," I lied.

She had breast cancer but is doing better.

We talked for about 20 minutes and then parted, agreeing to keep in touch (I got her contact information).

A chance encounter.

What are the odds?

No comments:

Post a Comment