Wednesday, November 4, 2009

50 days (lyn)


Today marks 50 days since joining Weight Watchers.  
This morning I have a scheduling conflict.  I have an 8:30 school meeting and a 9:30 Weight Watchers meeting.  I don't want to miss either.  I decide to go to WW first to get weighed (I'll regrettably have to skip the meeting) and then go to the school meeting.

I get to WW 40 minutes early, but luckily I bump into Steve who lets me in.  Both of the women who do the weigh-ins are there.  Since I've bonded with Robin I always go to her scale, but the other woman has become very nice.  I step on the scale.  Robin smiles broadly and tells me that I've lost 1.8 pounds since last week for a total of 13.6 pounds.  

I ask one of the other early arrivers to take my picture.  I feel ridiculous posing for a photo, but I do want a record of me at 50 days.  I think I'm starting to look okay.  I feel better, stronger.  My "thinner" clothes are starting to fit.  Today I'm only wearing workout pants and a somewhat sheer, clingy T-shirt.  Lighter clothes are better for the weigh-in.

I say my goodbyes and leave.  On my way to the school meeting, I stop to buy two slices of angel food cake, as I do each Wednesday, at the bakery near the WW meeting place.  They last me all week.
The school meeting has already started by the time I arrive.  I grab some coffee and nothing else.  You would think that everyone there is on some kind of weight-reduction program.  A few pieces of fruit are missing off the platters, but the mini-muffins and small Danish remain untouched.  

Once a year, parents from each grade get together with other parents from their grade to discuss common issues.  The meetings are lead by an outside group called Parents in Action.  This year's topics were (predictably):  college prep and the pressures of being an 11th grader; the large non-school-sponsored parties that our kids attend throughout the year (where there is danger beyond the pre-party drinking); and lack of communication (parents of boys especially know little of what's going on).  

After the meeting I feel compelled to get the College Board's SAT prep book.  

I come home and do a few odds and ends and then excitedly upload my photos.  I'm finally thinking that I've moved beyond "looking-better" into the realm of "looking-good."  But then I see the pictures.






True, I definitely look thinner.  My stomach looks smaller.  And even my face looks less fleshy (as one friend previously said).  But oh those hips.  As Robert Frost might say, I still have many many "miles to go before I sleep."


No comments:

Post a Comment