Sunday, November 1, 2009

the road less traveled (m)

This was Parent's Weekend at my son Sam's school.  He's a sophomore now and told us we did not need to come up.  Besides, he said, he had been sick with the flu all week and would probably catch up with schoolwork, go to his two hockey practices, and get some much-needed rest.

My husband and I wouldn't hear of it.  We told Sam we just wanted to see him, feed him, and hug him and then be on our way.  This scenario would involve eight hours in the car (four each way) for a one hour visit.  Totally worth it, in our collective opinion.

As an added bonus, Abby--one of my best friends on the planet and former college roommate--was going to be there with her husband Henry and their daughter, Mary who is a senior.  We still can't get over the fact that our kids (who really didn't know each other) chose the same school.  However, they both are intelligent, well-rounded, socially adept kids so it makes sense their worlds would overlap at some point.

On the drive up, I had a large cup of tea.  I packed turkey sandwiches, apples and a couple of those 1-point candy bars.  My husband and I had a great conversation about our kids, one of my outside projects, and our 25th Anniversary trip to Italy which is now postponed to next Spring.

As we were talking, I noticed signs on the highway that used to be my beacons along this long drive....McDonald's (McSkillet burrito for breakfast).  Dunkin' Donuts (coffee or tea, maybe a bagel or donut).  Charleton Rest Stop (gas up the car and pop in for a candy bar).  Pattersonville Rest Area (TCBY frozen yogurt...it's healthy!).

I drove by all these places and they seemed like scenes from a past life.  Could it have been only 9 weeks ago since this was my familiar haunt?  Yikes.

We did make just one stop to Starbucks where I got an unsweetened Passion Tea (they put so little in the drink and then fill up the cup with water and ice...ticks me off).

We saw Abby and her family for 15 minutes, went to Panera Bread with Sam (I had a salad and ice tea) and then went to his room where I tried to exorcise the germs...he kicked me out after 15 minutes and then we drove around campus and saw the new fields and other improvements.

All in all, it was a most satisfactory day.  I did, however, almost miss the turn to the Mass Pike on the way home because I lost my bearings since we didn't make the usual stop at the Fresh Fudge  place.....

1 comment:

  1. Food places are still my landmarks. I have to quit dropping in to McDonald's for their dang 20-piece Chicken McNuggets.

    ReplyDelete