Monday, November 2, 2009

so many movies (lyn)



Fall and winter are my favorite seasons, but especially fall.  I love the crisp air, the changing leaves, daylight savings, my son's birthday, knowing that the weather is getting colder and snow is always a possibility, Thanksgiving, and many free movies.

I am a voting member of BAFTA (short for British Academy of Film and Television Arts) and during this time of year, the studios send screeners and/or screening schedules to members.  Their hope is to encourage members to watch the movies they think should be in contention for awards.   I also get to bring a guest.  

Between November and December, I see about twenty movies.  They are generally shown in relatively small private screening rooms (some more luxurious than others) and are free (the studios want guild members to see their films) and devoid of trailers.   If I wanted to, I could go to the movies every night and see one or two films.  I don’t because (a) there are times when I have other things to do, (b) sometimes I just want to stay home, and (c) occasionally I feel my son needs me at home (but this happens rarely as Alexander much prefers the freedom of my not being in the house, since when I’m home there is a high probability of my asking about the progress of his homework).

So tonight is one of many nights this month I am going to the movies.  I’m seeing District Nine with my friend Don (I have a ‘movie screening’ list that includes about 18 people and whomever answers first to my email requests for a screening gets to go). 

Some screenings are at 6pm and conflict with dinner, but tonight’s is at 8.  There is no eating in most screening rooms (sometimes bottles of water are even confiscated) so I am not even tempted to create my popcorn-raisinet concoction.

I’ll eat before Alexander as we almost never eat before 7:30, except when we visit my parents on the Cape.  Their preference would be to have only two meals a day-a breakfast and a late lunch around 3.  Maybe that’s how they stay so thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment