Friday, November 13, 2009

prize day (m)

When I was in kindergarten at the Devens School, Mrs. Conway would give out stickers for good work.  Gold, silver, red.  The stickers were stars and I remember they came in a little square white box with red trim.  The box smelled great like magic markers and glue.   The stars were backed with glue and you licked them and stuck them on the middle of your forehead.  The gold star was the best, obviously, and while I got them most of the time, I also got the occasional red star and made the best of it, pretending to be one of those Hindu women that I saw in National Geographic magazine.

In first grade at St. Anthony's, we also got stickers for good work.  Only here, the stickers were supposed to go on your papers not your forehead because, apparently, we were "grown up" now.   Problem was, I was in the lavatory when Sr. Mary of the Rosary informed my class of this detail.  I came out, saw my paper and the loose sticker, licked it and stuck it right in the middle of my forehead.  My cousin, Debbie, looked at me in horror and tried to tell me (without speaking, of course) to take it off immediately.  By the time I understood what she was saying, it was too late.  Whack!  The nun snuck up on me from behind and smacked me.

Today, I showed up for my weigh-in and was down another 2.4 pounds for a total of 26.4 to date.  Elaine was thrilled for me and plastered my little booklet with yellow stars--five of them (one for each five-pound weight loss).  I'm not going to lie, I was very excited.  Best of all, she asks if I'll stay for class (I usually don't) so they can acknowledge my achievement.  What could I possibly have to do that would be better than getting some praise? 

Karen, our entertaining leader, calls me out, the group applauds and then she gives me some Weight Watchers "jewelry" to commemorate my crossing the 25-pound mark.  It's a metal disc with a hole in it.  I don't have my glasses on and I look at it and I don't get it.  It looks like one of those washers that you put under a bolt.  I thought it was a joke.  I took it home and looked more closely....it's a little replica of one of those weights you see in the gym and says "25 lb" on it.

I put it on my necklace right away.

My goal is to have 3 of these by this time next year.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! And thanks so much for the perfect sensory description of the coveted stars from school days - the box, the smell, everything. Keep up the fantastic work.

    ReplyDelete