Friday, November 6, 2009

caught in a glue trap (lyn)

Since our mouse episode, I am cautious about leaving food unprotected. My son is fanatical.


I buy some new airtight containers to house things on the counter that are already wrapped.   I even buy my first breadbox.  It does make the counter look neater.   I just wish I could still leave out the grape tomatoes.  I don't think tomatoes are something a mouse would like, but my son won't hear of it.  When we eat dinner, he's even concerned between courses of leaving out a plate that has leftovers on it.  I don't know if it's our newfound attention to keeping all counter food covered, or our new electronic "pestrepeller," but we haven't seen a mouse in weeks.


Karen and I walk early this morning.  It is a perfect fall day.  Sunny.  41 degrees.  Invigorating.   But when I get home, I enter an apartment that is too hot.   Beginning November 1st, the super turns on the basement's antiquated boiler, and because I live on the second floor, all the heat for this 17-story building travels directly through my apartment.  A few years ago, I had my radiators removed in the hope of not living in a sweatbox from November to April.   My efforts were unsuccessful as my apartment is now between 77 and 80 degrees.  I must be one of the few New Yorkers who uses AC throughout the winter.  Anyway, I go to open a window in my bedroom, and in the process, I inadvertently step on one of the glue traps that I've yet to remove from the perimeter of my apartment.


First it sticks to the bottom of my running shoe.  Then, while trying to get it off my shoe, it sticks to my rug.  It takes me about 15 minutes to extricate the glue from the sole of my shoe, another 10 minutes to get the small, left-behind pieces off my rug, and probably another 3 to wash the glue from my fingers.  


After doing all that, and showering, I feel I've earned my morning coffee and a chocolate VitaMuffin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment