Thursday, November 19, 2009

foods I eat and foods I avoid (lyn)

This is my first diet.  Ever.  And I am so glad that this is the diet I chose.


It is not gimmicky. 
It teaches and rewards healthy eating.
It is easily sustainable.
it is inclusive: no specific food is off limits.
It works.


I’m rarely hungry.  I don’t find it that difficult, and I love the results.  Follow the rules.  Track your food.  Use a food scale.  Stay within your points.  And you will loose weight.  It is actually very simple. 


So, for those interested in the dieting part, here are the kinds of foods I now eat and some I avoid. (CAUTION:  For those reading this blog who don’t care about the dieting elements per se, skip this posting, otherwise you’ll be excruciatingly bored!).


Breakfasts
•      Cup of blueberries (1 point) or strawberries (.5 points)
•      VitaMuffin-the chocolate is amazing (I didn’t like the blueberry); put it in the  microwave for about 35 seconds and it tastes like a brownie, with gooey chocolate bursting from it; hard to believe it’s healthy (1 point)


Lunches
•      Toasted Arnold’s sandwich thins (100% whole wheat) with whipped cream cheese and 1 oz. of lox (3 pts.)
•      3oz. of Fage Total 0% Greek yogurt (1.5 points) with cut up strawberries or blueberries
•      Shrimp cocktail
•      Toasted Arnolds sandwich thins with 2 slices of turkey, lettuce, tomato and Dijon mustard (3 points)
•      Toasted Arnold’s sandwich thins with 2 slices of WW cheese and tomato (3 points)
•      Salad:  lettuce, tomato and cucumber with balsamic vinegar dressing (only the dressing adds points)


Snacks
•      Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop (94% fat-free butter), (5 cups for 1 point)
•      Pringles, light fat-free, 15 chips (1 point)
•      WW mini bars: chocolate caramel, very good as is, or keep in the freezer-they take longer to eat this way (1 point)
•      WW mini-bars: dark chocolate raspberry, so good even my son loves them (1 point)
•      A cut up apple (buy an Oxo apple corer and divider; I really think it makes every apple taste better) (1 point)


Dinners
•      Sushi or sashimi (I have this about once a week)
•      Steak with vegetables (I eat prime strip, trim the fat, and allow for about 10 ounces); I only treat myself once a week or less
•      Pork loin (marinated in honey and Dijon mustard) with vegetables
•      Smart Ones Ravioli Florentine-my favorite of the frozen meals (5 points);  I usually eat with a salad and/or vegetable and not more than one per week 
•      One slice of medium pizza; have only had 2 slices in 9 weeks (6 points)
•      Steamed vegetables
•      Roasted vegetables (a teaspoon of olive oil, kosher salt, and roast at 350 for a half hour or so)
•      Grilled shrimp with vegetables


Desserts
•      Angel food cake (I buy two slices, with frosting, at a local bakery and cut off most, but not all, of the frosting….I count each piece as 5 points, and eat throughout the week)
•      WW English Toffee Crunch ice cream (my favorite of the ice creams), 2 points and satisfying enough






Foods I haven’t eaten since September 16, and miss

•      Ice cream cone at local ice cream store
•      Burgers
•      French Fries
•      Tuna sandwich
•      7-layer cake from Zabars
•      pies of any kind
•      Caesar salad
•      Pasta (other than WW)
•      Mozzarella
•      Muffins, donuts, Danish, etc.
•      Nuts





Foods I rarely eat

•      Starches with dinner (used to have potatoes or rice with most dinners; now I’d rather just have vegetables)
•      Avocado (used to be included in every salad and on every sandwich)
•      Lots of olive oil and butter (in cooking); I try to use as little olive oil as possible and never use butter



1 comment:

  1. Great list of choices. For any West Coast readers, Arnold's Sandwich Thins are sold with the Orowheat label.

    ReplyDelete