Wednesday, November 4, 2009

last to know (lyn)

Did you ever learn something that you were so excited about that you called your best friend to tell her?  And when you did, she’s not surprised at all.  She’s known about it for months.  Seems like everyone knows about it.  You feel like screaming, “Why didn’t anyone ever tell me?”  But you don’t.  Because you’re just a bit embarrassed thinking everyone just assumed you knew, just like they knew.  After all, it wasn’t really a secret.
Well, I sort of feel that way about Weight Watchers.

After my school meeting today, I was explaining to one of the moms why I showed up dressed in workout pants and a T-shirt (not that she noticed or even cared).  But because she is always dressed impeccably, I self-consciously felt compelled to mention in.  Barbara is tall and thin and always looks beautiful.  So I was surprised (rather shocked) when she told me that she’s been on-and-off Weight Watchers since she was 13. 

And then later in the day, I was on a city bus going to a movie screening, when I decided to call Meredith.  She wasn’t there so I left her (what I thought was) a cryptic message that went something like this, “Hi, it’s me.  Well, I’m down 1.8.  I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”  The well-dressed woman next to me said, “Weight Watchers?” 

Seems like everyone knows about the WW program and its point system except (until recently) me.  Even the people you’d least suspect. It’s funny how you can get to be my age, think you are pretty knowledgeable, and then find out that the world knows something that you don’t.  Well, at least now I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment