Monday, November 16, 2009

the wait is over (lyn)

On November 12th, a Costco opened in Manhattan.  Today, Zelia and I decide to make a visit.

The first thing we notice that’s different is that there is no open parking area.  Instead, there is one of those wind-around 10-story parking garages that charge $25/hr. for the first hour.  But this one is only $4.70 for the first two hours which makes it okay.  Free parking in Manhattan just doesn't exist.

We find a perfect space right next to the elevator but it is barely large enough to fit her car.  Zelia squeezes into the space that is practically on top of the car next to me.  I manage to slide out the passenger side and Zelia says, “A month ago you wouldn’t have fit.”

Everything has that squeaky-clean-brand-new look.  We go get our carts, outside the store, and we are astonished to find all the wheels going in the right direction.  First try.  We don’t have to sample a few carts before finding one that works.

Outside the store is a large poster that lists items unique to this store.  And right there on the list I see: Ugg coquette slippers for $64.99.   Last night, I ordered the very same slippers from Zappos for $100 (which I can now return).  When I prepared my list for Costco last night, you can be sure that Ugg slippers were not on it.

As soon as we walk in, we see a table set up for breakfast- juice and muffins are being offered.  Even though I do not partake, I appreciate the welcome.

Aside from the Ugg’s and the store’s cleanliness, what distinguishes this Costco from the others is the abundance of Costco employees available to help.  When I’m looking for broccoli florets, the employee I ask doesn’t just point me in the right direction, he actually goes to the back vegetable room and comes back carrying the bag of florets.  And when Zelia and I can't find the fat-free microwavable popcorn (100 calories per bag), it is easy to find someone who gives us directions.  But the directions turn out to be wrong.  No problem.  Before we have time to ask someone else, we see the employee looking for us with the popcorn in-hand.

I spend about $100 on Soft Scrub, Ghirardelli candy (not for me) and healthy foods:  raspberries, blueberries, broccoli florets, shrimp cocktail, lite turkey, clementines and Persian cucumbers. 


I go to check out.  Always the worst part of a Costco trip. The lines are usually long.  And, you have to hunt down boxes to put your groceries in.  But here, at this new Costco, I get a nice surprise.   First, the empty boxes are their at the cashiers.  There are no lines at all (hope that lasts, but I'm doubtful).  And best of all,  a Costco employer gives me the equivalent of valet-check-out.  She hand-packs my items, and asks about my experience.  A pleasure I tell her. 

When I arrive home a box from Zappos awaits me.  In it are the same Ugg slippers I just bought for $35 less.  I'm glad that Zappos makes it so easy to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment