Thursday, November 19, 2009

on the road again (m)

Another month, another skating competition with Harrison.  This one was to take the top four skaters from each of the three regions on the East Coast (Maine to Florida) and select the top four skaters to move on to Nationals.

We left Monday evening and flew down to Baltimore.  I ate a typical breakfast (one light, multi-grain Thomas' English muffin with I Can't Believe it's yada yada spray and one dropped egg with Pam--3 points).  Lunch was a turkey sandwich on Pepperidge Farm multi grain sandwhich bread (100 calories) plus lettuce and mustard (3 points).  I packed a few diet bars and was armed to the teeth.

H's coach came down with us.  Picture a thin, younger, better-looking Brad Pitt.  He's a Swede and fastidiously healthy.  We boarded Jet Blue and I got a water for a snack and plugged in the headphones and turned on Seinfeld and laughed all the way to Baltimore.  Dinner was a Chobani yogurt.

We rented a car at Avis and that transaction turned out to be the long pole in the tent, logistically.  The car wasn't ready and they tried to convince me to take a Grand Marquis.  I asked them if they thought I looked like an 80 year old white male.  I had reserved a Jeep SUV.  They had none.  "How about a Saturn SUV?", they asked. I turned to the coach and asked if that was a lesbian brand car.  He said yes.  We agreed to take the car only because it was late, but I put on lipstick just to be on the safe side.

Got to the hotel very late (11 p.m.).  I was so relieved that the long day from hell was over and I even reflected upon how good things were to that point:

-seatbelt was loose on the plane
-ate fewer points than my allowance
-smooth flight, on time arrival
-easy conversation with the coach...no awkward moments.
-convinced myself I looked a notch thinner

Just when I thought this would go down as a day in the "Good" column, we pull up in front of the hotel, take the luggage out of the car and I hear peals of laughter.

Apparently, Harrison unzipped my suitcase to get his iPod out and forgot to zip it back up.  When he pulled the suitcase out of the car, my clothes fell out....underwear first.  I felt like Bridget Jones when Hugh Grant's character discovers she wears those "mama bloomers".

And, just like that, my nice day came to an abrupt end.

No comments:

Post a Comment