Friday, November 6, 2009

global dilemma (m)

Day 2 of the board meeting at the medical school.  I'm excited for this one.  I'm going to meet this doctor who is leading the way in global health care.  He's won all sorts of awards and has been recognized by President Obama and asked to serve as a U.N. Ambassador.  We are expected to participate in a breakout session on global health.  I have to have my "A" game today.

I'm getting ready for the meeting and my head is "in the zone", focused on global health.  My mother calls:  "Campbell's tomato soup is on sale at CVS and it's 2 for $1.00!"   Ah.... yeah....okay, I say.  She can tell I'm not focused on the soup.  She's sharp as a tack and drills me:  "This is important. Don't forget. You always overpay at Shaw's.  It'll cost you over twice as much.  Harrison eats this soup everyday.  Make sure you go."

I make a note to go to CVS and try mightily to recollect my ideas on global health.   I think about the Titanic.  If  my mother had been working on that ship, they never would have hit the iceberg.  She always sees what's in front of her. 

The meeting is as good as I had anticipated.  I have my moment with the good doctor, talking about setting a strategic plan for which global markets to target next and how to measure success.  Doctor P smiles and invites me to go to Rwanda with him on a mission.

My first thought?  What's there to eat in Rwanda?

No comments:

Post a Comment