Monday, November 30, 2009

“I was just trying to help” (lyn)

Whether explicit or implied, when someone says they are just trying to help, they usually are not.  I frequently find this misused phrase a license to say something to someone that they are not going to like, as in:
“Have you tried going to different places with your resume to see if they are hiring? I was in a Saucony store the other day and saw that they were looking for sales people,” delivered to me by a stay-at-home mom with a successful husband who owns his own company.
“I didn’t think you could eat bread while you are on Weight Watchers,” addressed to me by a very slim person eating a pasta dinner as I prepared a one-slice-no skin-chicken sandwich. 
Sometimes the best help is in the doing, not in the saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment