Thursday, November 12, 2009

there's something i haven't told you (m)

I have a full gym in my home.  Two treadmills, an ARC trainer (like an elliptical machine), a Concept D erg machine (rowing), a weight station and other equipment (mats, balls, free weights, benches, Roman chair) as well as a steam room that easily fits 6 people.  There's even a whole wall of mirrors with a ballet bar (or is it barre?).

As you may have guessed, I rarely visit my gym.  The last time I was down there was to put something in the closet where I keep the Christmas decorations.  The time before that, I was checking to see if water came in after a torrential downpour (it didn't).

The equipment gets used often, just not by me.  Until tonight.

Harrison and my husband told me to get my sneakers on and go downstairs to learn how the ARC trainer works.  I went only because I thought this was going to be a five-minute tutorial, not a workout per se.  The ARC trainer takes the weight off your knees so you get a full workout with little impact to your joints.  They got me on the machine and turned it on.  First command:  "Enter weight".  I got off.  They overrode the weight question and made me re-mount. Then they programmed it for the lowest elevation and the lowest speed (I think that's how it works).   Harrison even turned on the radio to my oldies station.  They set the machine for thirty minutes AND LEFT ME!

There I was, alone with this gadget.  I started moving.  I couldn't figure out what the motion was supposed to be since those two bailed  before I could ask.  Am I supposed to be walking?  No.  Pedaling? No, not exactly.  Running gently? No.  It was the oddest thing. Like climbing stairs under water, but not. I remember Harrison saying that it works "the glutes" as if mine weren't big enough.  I started to go a little faster and the thing took off.  I felt like Lucy from the episode where she and Ethel are working the candy belt in the factory.  Stuff was happening way too fast.  I grabbed the sides and moved a little slower.  The thing calmed down.

Thirty minutes later, my heart was pounding and my face was red.  I got off the thing and headed upstairs. 

This could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment