Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ten ways to good health (m)

I went to a Chinese restaurant for the first time in about 8 weeks.  During the appetizer section, I drank tea as I saw nothing on the menu that was worth the points.  I felt like a martyr as I watched the others at my table eat their crab rangoon (all cream cheese and fried dough) and pork strips and sip mai tais.

The entrees came and I had steamed shrimp, broccoli and some pork and brown rice.   Even though I did have some healthy options in front of me, I focused on what I wanted but didn't have.  I sighed and drank more tea.

About halfway through my fourth cup of tea, I noticed there was writing on the side of the cup facing away from me.  I turned it around and smiled after I read it.  Here's what it said:

Ten Ways to Good Health

Less Alcohol, More Tea
Less Meat, More Vegetables
Less Salt, More Vinegar
Less Sugar, More Fruit
Less Eating, More Chewing
Less Words, More Action
Less Greed, More Giving
Less Worry, More Sleep
Less Driving, More Walking
Less Anger, More Laughter

Who knew that my little teacup was the gentle reminder I needed to refocus my attention on my original objective: good health.

I called the waiter over and asked if I could purchase the mug.  "You like?", he said. 

"I like", I told him.



No comments:

Post a Comment