Monday, November 9, 2009

it's the cows, stupid! (m)

Driving Harrison to school this early November morning, the weather report comes on the radio.  Forecast: near-record high temperatures, pushing 70 degrees.  It's 7:30 a.m. and the sun is shining brightly.  Harrison turns to me and asks if I subscribe to the theory of global warming.

"Yes, of course, the evidence seems to suggest that global warming is occurring", I say.  Never one to leave something alone, he presses on: "And why do you think that is?"  I say I think it's because of fuel emissions and deforestation.  He nods and says that I forgot one important thing: cows.

"What do you mean, 'cows'?  Cows have always been around", I said.  Then he tells me that while cows have been around forever, only recently have they been fed corn (versus grass).  "So what?", I ask.  Then he tells me that the cows can't digest corn and they "pass" methane gas which goes into the atmosphere and contributes to global warming.

Somehow, my mind made the leap from that to how constipating this Weight Watchers diet is for me.  I don't know what the connection his, but I have a hunch that once I figure it out, we will solve the global warming problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment