Wednesday, November 18, 2009

16.8 pounds in two months (lyn)

AT 6:45 am Karen and I leave for our 3.6-mile walk.  Today actually feels like fall.  43 degrees, but nice.  As we are walking around the reservoir, Karen asks, “So whatever happened with your cable?  I haven’t gotten around to reading your blog in a few days.”  I’m touched that a friend of mine is keeping current with my life through this blog.  It reminds me of another friend who was recently dating a guy who is a published author.  He was the chief investigator in a famous criminal case and had written a book about it.  He also included some personal information about himself in the book.  One night my friend asked him what his plans were for Thanksgiving.  (Apparently he does the same thing every year).  Rather than give her an answer, he responded with:  “It’s in the book.”  They have since stopped dating.

I get to my Weight Watchers meeting, as I usually do, about a half hour early.  One of the women in the group looks at me and says, “Wow, You look great.  I can really see it now.  You are definitely slimming down.”  I feel like I’ve just been crowned Model of the Year.

I weigh in and I get a big smile from Robin,  “1.4 pounds.  You are down 16.8 pounds since starting.  That’s fantastic.”  It’s so good in fact, that Steve, our ferociously entertaining leader, gives me a prize.  A copper key ring.   I am very proud. 

At today’s meeting we do a little exercise.  We put stickers (representing the different foods we expect to eat for Thanksgiving) on a paper plate.  I feel like I’m back in second grade doing an art project.  Each food has a point value.  In the end, my paper plate totals 32 points.  Since I get an extra 35 points a week, I am thinking that this is not horrible, though it is 14 points higher than my daily point allowance.

We go around the room and people shout out their points and explain their eating strategies for Thanksgiving.

The only man in the group says he has 0 points on his plate because “our family doesn’t celebrate this holiday.”  He appears to be American.  And since Thanksgiving is a non-religious holiday, I can’t imagine why he and his family skip this, my favorite holiday.  Steve doesn’t ask and he doesn’t offer.  I get stuck on wondering why.  Maybe he has a close relationship with some Indians?

Another person says she doesn’t need a strategy for not overeating since she is going to her sister-in-law's house, and her sister-in-law is a miserable cook.  In fact, she says, “It’s difficult to eat anything she prepares.”

One woman asks for strategies for refusing food that she expects will be pushed on her, as in, “You must try this.  It took me 18 hours to prepare it, and I’d feel awful if you didn’t take any.”  One suggestion was to simply lie and say I’ll try some later, and if asked, say it was delicious.  This strategy was offered by one of my favorite people at the group, who also happens to be the daughter of a rabbi.

I’m thinking of packing my paper plate with all the little stickers over it to help me stay on track.  But I’ll have to weigh the benefit of doing this against the ridicule I’d get if anyone finds this plate in my suitcase.   



No comments:

Post a Comment