Monday, January 25, 2010

avatar (lyn)

I debate about going to see Avatar.  It’s not my style of movie:  futuristic, with alien-type beings.  But because I vote in the British Academy Awards, I feel obligated to see all the important, award-worthy movies, and this is the only one I haven’t seen.

Yesterday I emailed eight friends who are available during the day, asking who would like to see Avatar.  I’m using my BAFTA membership card so I can get in free, and bring a guest.  Seven of the eight people I wrote to had absolutely no interest in seeing the movie, and the eighth was unavailable.  It’s raining in multiple directions by mid-day, so I am inclined not to go.  I like being home while it storms outside.  But I do want to see Avatar this week so I can finish the final round of BAFTA voting. 

I spend the morning doing a variety of things.  I start by making tonight's dinner. It’s a weight watcher’s recipe that both Alexander and I love.  It’s easy too.  Honey mustard pork chops----4 teaspoons of heated honey, then add ¼ cup of wine vinegar, salt and pepper.  Put in a plastic bag and marinate overnight or all day.  Then cook on each side for 6-7 minutes.  Each pork chops is only 4 points, and so good. 


Then I make some calls, research and order a couple of things Alexander needs for school, plan some trips to colleges for Alexander to tour, and become totally discouraged by Weight Watchers (I get a response from a corporate affairs manager who informs me that the ONLY way to be considered for a job or interview is through the WW website;  "there are absolutely no exceptions," she tells me and I feel like crying).  


Suddenly it’s 1 o’clock; I’ve only had tea, and I need to leave in 15 minutes to take the bus crosstown.  It’s a rainy Monday.  I figure since the theater will be empty (kids still in school) I’ll just make my lunch and eat it there.  I pop some popcorn, grab a Diet Snapple, and make a tuna sandwich on a challah roll (I don’t like the Arnold thins untoasted).  The IMAX theater seats 600 so I figure I’ll sit somewhere with no one around me to notice.

I get to the theater just as the movie is starting.  I grab my 3-D glasses.  I enter, and aside from the first two rows, it appears that almost every seat is taken.  And most surprising, the seats are all filled with people like me, and older.  I manage to find a single seat (where someone was previously resting their coat).

Sitting in a full theater, with 500 other middle-aged people all wearing enormous 3-D glasses is rather comical.  But everyone seems so engrossed in this two hour and forty minute movie, no one seems to notice how silly they look, and, more importantly, no one seems to notice that I'm eating a tuna sandwich.

I hadn’t expected to like Avatar as much as I did.  It’s a big movie, with big music, a big story, big battles, and stunning visuals.  I’m glad I went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment