Friday, January 8, 2010

survival of the fittest (m)

Driving Harrison to school recently and I catch a piece of a conversation a DJ is having with someone about "survival of the fittest".  Harrison turns to me and says "You know, even Darwin didn't think it was survival of the fittest....rather, the species that was most able to adapt to its environment was the one that survived."

Last night, I had dinner with a group of friends.  We last got together in the Fall.  One of them, A, has cancer.  You may remember we attended a prayer service for her just before Christmas.  An uplifting, but somber service.

By contrast, last night's dinner was fun.  We talked, ate, and laughed for 3 hours.  "A" looked great, all decked out in skinny jeans, a nice sweater and her new Joan Baez coiff.  Most important, the twinkle was back in her eyes.

It was just a few months ago that this same group convened in this same restaurant.  "A" was coming to terms with her diagnosis and prognosis.  I was sulking because I was new to the WW program and fixated on what I couldn't eat.  It was a fun evening, but paled in comparison to last night.

Why the difference?  I think we have accepted our struggles and have moved to a place where we focus on the positive.

This is the process of natural selection.  Adapt, and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment