Thursday, January 14, 2010

upcoming trip (m)

I’m leaving home with Harrison for a week.  I’m going to be in Spokane, Washington for the U.S. Championships in Figure Skating.  My younger son, H, competes in this event. 


I will have no access to a computer the whole week.  Oh, sure, H is bringing his Apple computer but I can’t get in without a password and he won’t give me his because he says I have "boundary issues."  I tell him people are counting on me to blog and he rolls his eyes and says, "Yeah, your readership awaits you."


So, I’ll be in Spokane for the better part of a week, dieting from my hotel room, waking up at ungodly hours to take him to practice, sitting through his performances with my heart pounding and watching people around me at the hotel eat...drink...eat...drink.


I will have a lot of catching up to do with regards to writing on this blog.  Lyn suggests that I write a day-by-day account and post it when I return.  I think that’s what I’ll do.


When I was starting out in marketing some twenty-nine years ago, my boss used to make me write up elaborate trip reports.  This guy was a huge pain in the ass.  He once sent me to Buffalo, NY the week before Christmas to find out why Pert Conditioner was doing so well in test market.  I got there, went to my first of twelve store visits and talked to the buyer who informed me that he was the only one who reported in to the test service (so the sample size was "1").  He said the stuff didn't move at the regular price so he marked it down to 99 cents and it sold through.  Hence the share bump.  Mystery solved.  Then the blizzard hit.  I was stuck in a room with just the Bible and waited two days until the weather cleared.


I expect I’ll have a lot more to write about on this trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment