Friday, January 1, 2010

a dinner party on new year's eve (m)

I've never been the New Year's Eve type.  I associate those who revel on this night with those who propose marriage on Valentine's Day....tacky.  My one exception was the year it turned 2000.  In case there was an apocalypse, I wanted to be awake.

Instead, I prefer to stay home with my family, relax by the fire and then, at midnight, gather my loved ones for a kiss and hug.....and go straight to bed.

I got a call late October from a new friend whom I don't know all that well.  "What are your plans for New Year's?", she asked.  Nothing, I said, thinking it was a simple answer to a simple question.

"Well, I want to have a dinner party.  You'll come!"

I hadn't heard from her since, and, by December 30th, I assumed it was off.  I was planning a quiet night at home and even bought those cozy socks they sell in a 3-pack for $20 at Brookstone.   I planned to wear the pink ones.

I heard from P. on December 30th.  "So, we're all set for tomorrow.  Bring something hors d'oeuvry and don't forget....it's a dress-up party!"   

OMG.  I felt the bile rise in my throat.  What in God's name could I wear? 

I took my mother to see It's Complicated with Meryl Streep.  While driving her home, she asked about my plans for the evening.  I told her...even the part about dressing up.  Why, I don't know.

"What are YOU going to do?  What do YOU have to wear?  Say you're sick and can't go."

I went to my closet in the basement of my house.  With a flashlight, I rummaged through until I found something from a past life. I forgot I even had it.  A long velvet jacket (collarless, buttonless) with velvet pants.  Eileen Fisher.  Black, of course.  I put the outfit on.  Too big, but it didn't fall off.  This will have to do.

I went upstairs to my bedroom and found all the pearls I own.  Earrings, necklace, bracelet, pin.  I festooned the outfit with the pearls and looked in the mirror.  I looked like Dorothy from the Golden Girls.  Whatever.

Walked by Harrison's room to tell him we were leaving.  He said I looked like a pimp all decked out as I was in velvet.  Nice.

Got to the party...six people including the hosts.  The dinner guests were very interesting; (the husband was a successful financier now a champion poker player who travels the world); the hostess did a wonderful job.  Roast beef, asparagus, sweet potatoes, salad, bread.  I had a very small portion of each.  One half glass of white wine.  A sip of my husband's champagne.  I did note with amusement that the two women combined weigh less than I do (each says she's under 100 pounds).  I felt like an Amazon pimp.

I drank coffee while everyone else ate dessert.  Two types of pie.  The little guest woman found a party-sized bag of M&Ms in the cabinet and asked if she could have some.  The hostess said, "of course...bring them out."  The little guest brought them to the dining room table, put a mound of them on her plate, and ate them with a fork. Is that why she's so thin, I wondered?  You get much less at a time with a fork than your hand...

We all had plans to leave a little early.  The other guests and we had to get home to children, the host and hostess were invited to a dancing party which started at 11 p.m. so, it all worked out fine.

The guest's husband touched the sleeve of my jacket.  "This is nice.  What is it?"

Velvet, I said, with a poker face.

No comments:

Post a Comment