Thursday, January 14, 2010

packing (m)

Packing for the trip to Spokane.  I get my medium sized-suitcase and start with the basics...underwear, nightgown, socks.  Then I move to toiletries, jewelry and shoes. After that is books and magazines.  Then medicines.  Last to be packed is clothes.

This order makes no sense to anyone but me.  It's an old habit which stems from not wanting to deal with the clothes.

It used to be that I would pack half my closet into a much larger suitcase and not even bother to plan outfits.  I would arrive at my destination and hope the clothes somehow would reveal themselves in combinations that would look good. I remember getting ready for a meeting in Spain.  I must have gone through 10 permutations before I settled on something which looked decent.  I also brought twelve pairs of shoes on that trip.

Today, I packed as I imagined a normal person would.  I laid out the pants and then matched shirts/blouses and sweaters.  I even added a scarf or two to the mix.  I felt like one of those window dressers styling the mannequins.

The clothes are new so they are fresh.  I've worn each combination before, so I know they fit and look good together.

I was done in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment