Saturday, January 23, 2010

sick food (m)

We were supposed to go to New York today for one of Sam's hockey games.  Instead, Harrison got very sick.  He couldn't move his neck backwards or to the left.  We took him to the doctor's office and they suggested he go to the hospital for tests, thinking it was an abscess at the back of his throat.

Five hours and one CAT scan later, the doctor said he has tonsillitis and released him with all sorts of prescriptions and instructions.

I ask the doctor what he should have and he says "comfort foods."  Like that's a food group.

The grocery store in my home town is overpriced and the women who shop there are overdressed for the task.  I load my cart up with tomato soup, mashed potatoes, vanilla pudding, popsicles and various other "comfort items" and don't I run into the Burberry Crowd?  Three women I know all dressed up and looking fabulous flag me down to say hello.  I know they are looking at my food items and probably are thinking, "What, no Wonder Bread?"

I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense after I left them.

I am hoping to get the last laugh one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment