Sunday, January 17, 2010

day 2: I venture out (m)

Practice at 6 a.m, Spokane-time.  I'm watching H and his competitors take to the ice.  This is a great opportunity to size up the competition.  It's a tough group, but he's in the mix.

My phone rings:  my brother Phillip wants to know if he may borrow my crock pot.  Of course, but there's a catch.  The keypad which opens the garage doors is not working. We think the battery died and it de-programmed the code.  I left fixing that to my husband before I left and I would bet my soul that this was not done.  So, no crock pot for Phillip.

After practice, we eat breakfast (this is the ham and cheese omelet I didn't order...and didn't eat).  It's only Day 2 but I have wicked cabin fever.  I take a walk outside in the mist.  40 degrees.  I am overdressed for this weather.

There is a mall called Riverpark.  A few good stores in there: Nordstrom's, Williams-Sonoma.  I feel back in the saddle around these stores.   I buy a pink shirt at Nordstroms...two sizes smaller than what I'd usually get.  A quick trip to the Bobbi Brown counter and I pick up some essential oil I didn't know I needed but found out my skin is "thirsting for."

One of my favorite families invites me out to dinner (the kids are going out on their own).  Meat, meat, meat, chicken, lobster on the menu.  The lobster is 16 oz cooked and $48.  Ridiculous.  I ask if I may have a half-portion for half-price.  The waitress comes back with the verdict: 8 oz for $32.  Take it or leave it.  My friends sigh and say "Just Get It!"  The world is not tolerant of dieters I have learned.

We walk home to the hotel and the place is hopping.  Skaters and their families are at the bar/lounge area.  Everyone is drinking and eating (again) and invite us over for drinks.  I order a white wine spritzer.  Yuck.  What did they put in this?  Sprite...lots of it.  May I have it with just the seltzer and white wine?  I go back to the group who is laughing "we never knew you were so fussy."

What I've learned from Weight Watchers is how to speak up for myself.  I can do that for others (especially my family), but I hate doing it for myself.  If you can't do this, you won't succeed.

Now if I can only get room service and housekeeping to fall in line...

No comments:

Post a Comment