Thursday, January 21, 2010

the best laid plans...(m)

The flight from Spokane to Denver was just two hours and left Spokane at 6 a.m. I didn't bother to plan a breakfast, opting instead to sleep.

Got to Denver and remembered to buy my own food so I wouldn't have to eat those wretched plane meals.

Let's see...Haagen Daz (no), Pizza Hut (yes, but too many points), McDonald's (no). Where can I go to get the most "bang" for my points?  Quiznos.  I've never been to Quiznos.

I settle on a small grilled chicken sandwich with honey mustard , no barbecue sauce, on a whole wheat sub roll.  I'm guessing 10 points, but I can spare it.  I get H his turkey and mayo sub.  I have an apple and I'm assuming the plane will have water or Diet Coke.

I really feel I'm in control of this thing.  No anxiety, no temptations.  I'm actually looking forward to eating this lunch. It even smells good.  The bread is still warm.

We board the plane, reach our cruising altitude and they start the meal service.  Will you be having lunch? the steward asks.  "I've brought my own," I say smugly.

I take the sandwich out and prepare to take a bite.  H wakes up just then, looks over and says STOP!

"No, no, I can have this", I say, thinking he thinks I'm going off my diet.

"There's a long hair in your sandwich!" he says.

Gross.  I quickly wrap it up and stuff it in the barf bag in the seat pocket.  Major bummer.

The steward comes by again.  "Did you change your plans, would you like one of our meals?"

"What do you have?" I say, sulking.

"Shrimp salad or turkey and melted cheese."

No comments:

Post a Comment