Saturday, January 23, 2010

I scream, you scream (lyn)

I eat a chocolate Vitamuffin top and tea, and then set out on a 3.6 mile walk to ABC Home (one of my favorite stores in NYC).  I enjoy walking, with my nano, to a destination.  It’s easy to get lost in the music.  I think I need to add some new songs, though, as I keep playing the same 72 favorites over and over.  I’ll have to consult with Alexander who does a good job of introducing me to new music I’ll like.

I also decide to use my newly discovered stopwatch app on my iPhone, and 54 minutes and 19 seconds later I arrive at ABC. Despite the 20 degree or so weather, I feel warm and healthy.  Coming home I take the subway and it definitely feels colder.

I’m not very hungry, and decide on a large apple for lunch, knowing I’ll be having an early dinner. 

Around 6:30, I eat grilled tuna and roasted tomatoes, while Alexander plans to order in Chinese food (something I haven’t had since the summer).

I’m meeting Robyn to see an off-Broadway play, Smudge.  It’s a black comedy about a couple who give birth to an alien-type offspring.  Interesting, well-performed, but dark.  We get home around eleven and I still have points left and a craving for ice-cream.  Rare for me.

I pull out my handy iPhone app for Weight Watchers and see that if I go to Sedutto’s, the neighborhood ice cream place, a cup of “premium ice cream” is an astounding 13.5 points.  How disappointing.  I could have a burger on a bun for a lot less.  For a millisecond I try to rationalize that maybe Sedutto’s ice-cream is not premium, but in fact, regular, which is only 7.5 points for a cup.  But who am I kidding.  Underneath the Sedutto logo are the words “crema eleganza.”  I don’t know Italian, but that certainly sounds more premium than regular.

I go back to my app and check out sorbet, and am delighted that there are no class distinctions on the sorbet, and that one-cup-any-flavor is only 4.5 points.  Had I known this before I probably would have been less reliant on angel food cake for dessert.

I get to Sedutto’s around 11:15, on this cold January night, and there’s a line going out the door.  I see a couple I know, and we discuss possible choices, but I of course have already researched and landed on a decision.  A pint of half raspberry and half mango sorbet, packed side-by-side.

I get home, and Alexander and I eat our ice cream and sorbet respectively (it’s the most satisfying dessert I’ve ever eaten) while watching the final two episodes of Conan O’Brien, which we had previously DVR’d.

I’m so content with my son, my sorbet, and good TV that I barely notice the loud music from the party happening in the apartment below ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment