Friday, January 8, 2010

cheekbones (m)

I always wanted high cheekbones.   This, to me, epitomized beauty.  One could even have a big nose as long as one had high cheekbones.

In the 1970s, I used to take Seventeen Magazine into the bathroom with me and hold up pictures of models like Jean Shrimpton and do a split-mirror comparison:  Jean on one side, me on the other.  I would suck in my cheeks and hold my breath until I was dizzy, waiting for the moment when my cheekbones would appear.

On the occasions when they did appear, I had to admit (sadly) that mine were low.  With this admission, I gave up all hopes of a career in modeling.

Since then, I've led a full life.  Family, friends, career.  I haven't thought about cheekbones once in over 30 years.

Tonight, I was at the skating club and one of the older coaches, an artistic woman, came to me and said "I'd like to do your portrait.  Your cheekbones have nice edges to them now."  Could I make this stuff up?

"Edgy" cheekbones.  Who knew?

This diet is full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment