Tuesday, January 19, 2010

day 4: horns of dilemma (m)

This hotel is cleverly designed to turn you into an alcoholic.  You have to walk through the bar area to get to and from your room.  This is where everyone congregates.  It's a madhouse every night. 

At any given point in time, I will know at least 50% of the people there.  I make a new friend with a woman whose son is a competitor of H's.  She drinks every night and shows up in the sitting area every morning, looking like road kill.

I decided that I am going to manage my points today so that I can eat late tonight with everyone else and not sit there, parsing out points like they are manhole covers.

At 10 p.m., after another long day of practices, stress, avoiding the lady from housekeeping and watching movies in the room (The Proposal isn't so bad), I emerge from my room and head downstairs.  The party is rocking.  I join a booth with a group of people and we decide to order pizza. I can't face another chicken caesar salad. I have two slices of mushroom and robiola cheese pizza.  I think this is the first pizza I've had since September and it's so good I want to cry.

Someone orders me another wine spritzer.  Someone else asks if we should get another pizza.  Uh oh. What do I do? What would Weight Watchers advise?  I see the imaginary devil with horns over my head saying "go ahead. what's the big deal? eat it."  That's the only voice I hear.  Where the hell is the angel who is supposed to offer the righteous counterpoint?  She never shows.

I take matters into my own hands, grab the wine spritzer and head to the other side of the room where there is no food.  There, I talk and pretend to drink.  I leave around midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment