Tuesday, January 19, 2010

delia (m)

I'm hanging out in the lobby sitting area across from the bar, sipping green tea with honey.  My throat is much better.  I've been drinking tea and water non-stop.

One of H's coaches stops by to say hello.  He asks how my diet is going.  I know my weight must bug him.  He's the one who ate Tic-Tacs for a week leading up to this event since he wanted to look his best when the cameras were on him in the Kiss and Cry area.

Just then, he spots someone across the room and calls her over, saying to me "you have to meet Delia."

Delia comes over.  She's a very well-known coach in the skating world, having produced lots of champions.  But that's not why P wants me to meet her.  Delia, you see, has lost 101 pounds since May of 2009!

Delia weighed 268 pounds in May of 2009 and had enough.  She did a program called SlimGenics which she says lets you eat normal, healthy foods from the grocery store.  She works out 1 1/2 hours per day and, at her current weight of 167, looks attractive and healthy.  She wants to lose 40 more pounds.

Delia gives me a pep talk about how I can do this.  We commiserate over eating on the road and I offer to give her some of my Weight Watchers bars.  She takes the roasted almond bar and thanks me.

I say goodbye and leave, inspired by her story.

I head out for a walk and hear a voice behind me say: "You can do this.  You will look amazing.  I want to see you at Nationals one year from now.  I want you to blow me away."

Who knew I'd find a "coach" of my own at this event?

No comments:

Post a Comment