Monday, January 25, 2010

pigging out (m)

If you've ever seen Deborah Winger in Legal Eagles (she stars in this movie with, of all people, Robert Redford) there's a scene where she's home alone one night, smitten with Robert Redford and emotionally distraught.  She pigs out.  Pizza, hot dogs (she eats them uncooked, taking them straight out of the package, wiping the juice off with her hands).  The whole scene is disgusting.....and familiar.

I recognized myself in this scene.  It was a moment of truth.  I haven't pigged out in a long time, but I did this weekend. I think it was a release from all the stress of the holidays, the competitive season in skating, the traveling, etc.

While my family was appalled that I ate pretty much non-stop this weekend, I see progress in what I ate.  Here's a comparison between my pig-out list pre WW and what I eat now.

Then

Doritos
Ruffles Cheddar Cheese Flavored Chips (the orange ones)
Pizza (extra cheese of course--if I wanted to be "healthy" I'd get extra cheese and mushrooms)
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brigham's Chocolate Ice Cream
Haagen Daz Chunky Monkey (I used to love this until I saw one of the fat lawyers from my office with a container of this at the grocery store in our town.  He died of a heart attack two years later. That's when I took it off my Top Ten list)
Grilled cheese sandwich (for a snack...they have like 15 points)
Smart Food popcorn
Bagels and cream cheese (again, just a "snack")
Lindt Dark Chocolate with Orange (one whole bar)

Now

Special K whole wheat crackers
Rice Cakes (plain, unsalted) with a smear of low fat, low-sugar peanut butter
Weight Watchers candy bar (dark chocolate raspberry)
100 calorie microwave popcorn bag
Low sugar popsicle
Angel food cake
Weight Watchers chewies (the semi-soft candies that give you the runs)
Pears
Grapefruit

I know I went overboard this weekend and blew my points, but I'm giving myself a "bravo" sticker for at least making decent choices. 

I know how much worse it could have been......

No comments:

Post a Comment