Tuesday, January 5, 2010

a new closet (lyn)

I’ve lived in the same apartment for the past 17 years, and for the past five or so the doors to the closet in my hallway have bothered me.  As you can see from the photo, the doors never fit the frame well and there are gaps at the top, bottom, and sides. 



In the spring of 2008, I finally decided to do something about it.  Here’s the short history.  I found a general contractor who would do this small job; he was highly recommended by a reputable builder nearby.  I gave him a deposit.  He disappeared.  I went to court.  He showed up and apologized, and I got my money back.  This took about six months.  Since then, I’ve been unable to find anyone else who will do this job.  Too small, I’m told.  But when I approached the contractor next door who is renovating Silvia’s apartment, he agreed to do it.  Finally, yesterday, the closet doors were redone and I am thrilled with the result.



I wake up to clothes and boxes and coats and luggage scattered all over the apartment.  I had to wait for the paint to dry.  So my project for the day is to organize my new closet.  I like this kind of project, since there is a tangible and noticeable result (not unlike Weight Watchers).

It’s nostalgic cleaning a closet, as so many items bring back memories.  I enjoy the process of deciding what to keep-what to toss-and what to donate.  Here are a few of the things that don’t make it into the new closet.

      Receipts from tax returns prior to 2004 (I hope my accountant is correct that you only need to keep the backup for 5 years)

      My old skis and poles that I absolutely loved, but haven’t used since tearing my ACL in 1999 (first day, second run, in Steamboat Springs, with 6 year old Alexander); I never did get the surgery as I didn’t want to deal with the long rehab

      Branded jackets from trips I took at Discovery to Santa Fe, Iceland, Costa Rica, and Sydney Australia

      Big, hooded sweatshirts from Provincetown, Cape Cod, and Johns Hopkins

      A one-size-fits-all caped nylon raincoat that reminds me of a time (only months back) when I preferred sweeping shapeless coats to fitted ones

What does make it back into the closet is my unworn beige Prada trench coat from three years ago that I bought at my skinniest.  I’m not ready to try it on quite yet, but soon.

When I finish deciding what to keep and what to toss, and then organizing everything, it is already 1pm, and I have only had a cup of tea all day.  It is astonishing how being busy can totally take my mind off food.  Or other unwanted thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment