Saturday, January 2, 2010

Wolfgang's (lyn)

Every year around this time, Alexander and I get together for a holiday dinner with my sister Valerie who lives in New York, and her husband Abbey and their three sons.  In addition, Abbey’s sister, Jill, and her husband and two kids also come.  There are 11 of us.  Aside from Alexander, all the “kids” are close in age (23-29).  Everyone lives in or around New York City, except for Michael, the youngest of Valerie and Abbey’s three boys.  He moved to LA this year, and while we all wish him luck there, we also wish that an aspiring writer/actor had as many opportunities on this coast.

It’s a great group.  Anyone can sit anywhere because you’ll always end up next to someone you like.

Typically we go to a great NY steakhouse, and this year is no exception.  We go to Wolfgang’s.  The website for this restaurant describes in detail the process by which it chooses its prime beef and then ages it.  Their steaks are incredible and I prepare myself for a big-eating night.

Throughout the day I eat little.  I know it’s probably safer to go to the restaurant not starving, but I choose instead a less safe strategy and use only 4.5 points prior to going:  one for a Vitamuffin, one for an apple, and 3.5 for prosciutto on Arnold thins. 

I want to accent my thinness since I haven’t seen Jill and her family since Yom Kippur on September 28.   About 18 pounds ago.  I decide on the black pants I wore at Thanksgiving that are now a little big, a white top and black sweater.

We all meet for dinner and only Jason (one of my wonderful nephews) says anything about my weight loss. He calls across the table, “Hey, skinny, please pass the bread.”  I want to jump up and kiss him.

Dinner is far too good to be good at.  I start with Wolfgang’s house salad which is filled with shrimp and bacon and is amazing.  We all have porterhouse steak, and I have no idea of the quantity I eat, but I am sure that it is more than the size of a deck of cards, the ridiculously small recommended guideline.  I take small portions of the creamed spinach and home fries, and only two bites of the key lime pie with fresh whipped cream.  I want a cappuccino for dessert, but since they don’t offer one with skim milk, I decide instead to order the zero-point tea.

But the evening is not about the food.  It’s about getting together with people I love and whose company I truly enjoy.  I probably ate a week’s worth of points tonight, but every one of them was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment