Tuesday, January 12, 2010

something new at costco (lyn)

Zelia and I go to Costco today.  My freezer is already full so I’m limited in what I can buy.  I arm myself with my Costco tools:  bright green freezer-like shopping bags that I got this summer at Shop Rite for $1.99 each (a steal); three ice packs; extra plastic bags (Costco has no bags of their own, only cut off cardboard boxes); my Amex card; my Costco card; my cell phone (to make it easy to find Zelia); my list; and my coupons. 

I’m getting better at this.  I know where mostly everything is.  I gravitate to the healthy foods and bypass the fat-laden foods I used to love.  What used to take two hours can now be done in one. 

We have our routine.  Zelia and I split up as soon as we enter the store, and find each other about 30 minutes later in the fruit-fish-meat area. 

It’s really difficult to go to Costco and spent under $100.  Today’s excursion was no exception.  But I know that the shrimp cocktail appetizer, case of Snapple diet ice tea, a pound jar of aged parmigiano reggiano cheese, another one pound of mozzarella (for Alexander), four boxes of pasta (for Alexander), 15 jumbo rolls of toilet paper, 4 giant boxes of Special K, a big fruit bowl of “gourmet fruits,” milk, and some vegetables, will all get consumed.

And I learn something new.

I try a sample of some all natural yogurt and am handed an odd little plastic utensil that is rounded on the outside, but has two tines.  I look at it oddly, as I have never seen anything like it.  “It’s a spork,” says the cheery employee.  A spork?  Why not a spife too, I think but don’t say.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:48 AM EST

    We invented them when I was at chunky soup twenty five years ago:

    It the soup you eat with a fork: and our sPORKs were the biggest added value hit the brand ever had. They never caught on with the general public. Maybe now your blog will make it happen LOL, J

    (Love that my whole communication with you is now reduced to comments about your WW blog!)

    ReplyDelete