Monday, March 8, 2010

and the winner is..... (lyn)

A month ago I decide to have a little Oscar Party.  An informal get-together with some friends.   I imagine comfort foods and sweat clothes, maybe even pajamas.  Even though the Academy Award show is never that good, it’s the one show a year I would never miss.  I have seen every nominated show, every performance that is up for an award, and feel an undeserved kinship to the Hollywood community.  I sent an evite to 15 friends in mid-February.  Two respond.

So earlier this week, I cancel the event.  I don’t take it personally.  I assume Sunday night is not the best night to go out, particularly since it’s a late night and most of these women have kids at home. 

The day after sending out an event cancelled email, two respond that they are coming, and one even kindly offers to bake something.  Now what do I do? 

I feel like a total idiot.  I’ve gone from inviting to canceling to now dis-inviting. 

In the end, three people show up.  We grab a bite at a neighborhood pizza restaurant, the kind that has waitress service.  I have two pieces and a bit of salad, then come back home and eat two Fig Newtons that someone has brought. (Not bad considering there is an array of about four different kinds of cookies). 

The Oscars happily end around midnight with our favorites winning Best Actor (Jeff Bridges), Best Actress (Sandra Bullock), and Best Picture (Hurt Locker).  Having the show DVR’ed makes it entirely watchable….no commercials, no montages of the animated shows, no long dance numbers, and no boring speeches for technical awards we don’t care about,.  Only the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment