Tuesday, March 16, 2010

birthday afternoon (lyn)

The rest of the afternoon is also filled with nice surprises.  As if Karen and Tim haven’t done enough, they buy me a gorgeous bouquet of pink and purple flowers. 



I eat little (only some miso soup) in anticipation of tonight.  I leave the house around 3 for some primping: a manicure, and a hair blow out.  I get back to the apartment and Gallo, one of the doormen, hands me a double bouquet of exquisite roses in deep orange and yellow.


 He smiles and says, “This is from me and the boys.  We all chipped in.”  I am overwhelmed.  The doormen, porters, super, and handyman have all coordinated to buy me flowers.  I’m sure they don’t do this for everyone. I’m pretty demanding, too.  I am momentarily stunned with emotion that they like me this much.  I feel like Sally Fields accepting her Oscar in 1985, “You like me, right now, you like me!"  I stand in front of Gallo and all I can think to say is, “Wow.  This is so nice.  Thank you so much.  I can’t believe you all did this for me.”  Then he smiles in a way that makes me realize I’ve been punked.  It turns out the flowers are from two very close and thoughtful friends.  I imagine that Gallo will probably relay the story to others who work in the building (as I know I would).   “Can you believe this?  Apartment XY actually thought we took up a collection to buy her flowers?”  and they will all laugh at the absurdidty of my believing this.  I can't really say I blame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment