Sunday, March 21, 2010

dinner in Nashville (lyn)

We decide to have ribs for dinner.  The concierge tells us about a great place called Jack’s.  She describes the restaurant’s history and its reputation.  "You'll love it there.  Everyone does."  I know that ribs are not something I should have, but I’m in the South, and Jack’s sounds amazing.  We are all excited to have a good meal, especially after last night's.

We get to the restaurant in downtown Nashville and there’s a sign on the door, “Closed on Sunday.”  We are all disappointed.  It’s cold.  It’s raining.  And everyone we stop on the street to ask for a recommendation is a tourist. Three British guys suggest a good sushi place.  Ya, right.  I'm in Nashville and I'm going to have sushi for dinner!  I take out my iPhone and start looking for local restaurants.  The commercials make doing this look easy.  But it takes forever for every restaurant to load.  And besides, we don't even know if a restaurant listed is anywhere near where we are.

Finally, I approach two guys who look local, and they recommend the Wildhorse Saloon.

We get there and immediately I feel like leaving.  It’s a big, cavernous room filled with lots of tables, and a stage up front where a singer is teaching a floor full of people how to line dance.  Loud country music is playing.  We sit down and everyone wants to stay.  Only because we don't know where else to go.  And it's miserable outside.

We all order ribs.  They come and they truly are the best ribs we've all ever had.  I eat almost a whole rack, and don’t feel bad.  I skip the sides of baked beans, french fries, and Texas toast that accompany the order, and just concentrate on the ribs (and the good music from the live band that plays throughout dinner).  The meat just falls off the bone.  No sauce is needed as the ribs are perfectly coated.  They aren’t even messy to eat.  

I seriously doubt I will ever find ribs that are this good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment