Tuesday, March 16, 2010

birthday morning (lyn)

Not that I like getting older, but I do enjoy my birthday.  Alexander remembers and as a kind gesture, he gets up on the first, “Alexander, it’s 7:10, time to get up.”  It’s a rare occurrence, so I know he’s really trying to make this day special for me.  I feel a sore throat and cold coming on, but I’m going to wish them away.  The sun is finally out.

I put on my size 28 Paige jeans, the ones that have been in my closet since October 2006;  the ones I unsuccessfully tried to sell on Craig’s list two years ago, figuring they would never fit again; and the ones I sill love.  They are tight around the top, but I can button them, and my T will cover the little bit of flesh spilling over.  In fact, they look great on.  Okay, they are not totally comfortable, but they will remind me that I still have five or so pounds left to lose.

The morning is filled with calls from friends and family.  My Facebook wall is covered in Happy Birthdays.  As I’m about to go out and get a manicure, my phone rings.  It’s Karen and she asks if I’d like to stop by.  I’m at her apartment within five minutes, and before the door even opens, I can hear  Becky and Sam's excitement.  Karen has made an amazing key cake.








In her beautiful customized card,  Karen writes that the key is symbolic of the ww reward key for losing weight. 

Then Tim (her wonderful husband) reads me a poem he has written.  I am so touched.  And  lucky to have my neighbors as such wonderful friends.


A Poem for Lyn

Lyn, on this birthday we thought we’d greet you
With versified facts from Wikipedia
So as you took your place in the sun
Let’s look back to Fifty one:

One of the first happenings then
Was the opening here of the U.N.
But as their flag climbed its new pole
The Chinese and Koreans went and got Seoul
The trial of the Rosenbergs got going in earnest
And Denis made his US-Menacing appearance
In March Seoul was UN-communised
And Yul was star of ‘The King and I’
“All about Eve” won the Oscar
While Truman gave a razzie to McArthur
Thermo-Nuclear testing was being practiced
As if the lessons of Japan hadn’t quite lasted
The New York School of art got going
With its 9th Street Art house showing
In May, China forced the hand of Tibet
An act it will probably live to regret.
Warfield sang ‘Ol’ Man River’
As the Midwest slowly sank under
In Joplin an African American was honored
While in Belgium old Leo by himself was dethroned.
Alice in wonderland got a Disney makeover
While Oliver was twisted to appease the censor
Salinger’s Catcher saw publisher’s ink
Becoming a touchstone for teenagers who think.
Williams’ Streetcar hit the theatres
Just as Thompson’s shot rattled the bleachers
An American in Paris turned up in N.Y.
Lucy was aired; CBS winked its eye.
In October the war with Germany was ended
And Churchill got back in as he intended.
Direct dial was introduced coast to coast
While Alastair Sim communed with Dickens’ ghosts
Hepburn opened in Gigi
Then was sold down a river with Bogey
Finally, Libya told Italy “arrivederci
For which, if French, they should have said “Merci!!”

So Lyn, as you can see here
You arrived in an interesting year.
You will note, we are certain,
Ample reference to stage, screen and curtain,
But we would like to remind you
Yours was also a major debut
It is a fact that with your birth
Something wonderful happened here on Earth
(Though not of origin completely alien)
Your arrival was Bacchanalian
As such, you should be pleased to hear
That according to sister Greer,
(A birthday thought both Germaine and clever)
While “You're only young once, you can be immature forever”!


No comments:

Post a Comment