Saturday, March 20, 2010

the other vegetable (m)

If pork is the other white meat, what is cheese?  Apparently, in this part of Florida, it's a vegetable.

Today, we went to the Waffle House for breakfast.  After the $108 lobster last night, T puts us on an austerity program. 

We are in a backwater part of Florida in between Tampa and a section where there are a slew of  baseball fields.  There is nothing in between.  No, wait.  I stand corrected.  There is a meth lab in a small trailer operated by an 19 year old husband and father of two.  It was on the news last night. And here we are today.

I called my friend, Mary, to see how many Weight Watchers' points there are in waffles, but couldn't reach her.  I planned to play it safe and order an egg white omelet.

Get to the Waffle House and T and I take our seats behind the counter.  The cast from Deliverance is on the other side, working the grill.  Even T was slightly appalled by the sights in here. 

Anyway, the omelet ordering process turned out to be an ordeal.

Me:  I would like an egg-white omelet.  Can you do that?
Waitress: Sure can, but that'd be $1.00 extra. 
Me:  (I felt I should be a more discriminating customer after the lobster fiasco last night, but I didn't ask why it cost more for eggs without yolks than with yolks).  Okay...I'll have an egg white omelet with broccoli and onion.
Waitress: We don't got broccoli, hon.
Me: Okay, What other vegetables do you have?
Waitress:  We got peppers, mushroom and cheese.
Me: Okay then, peppers and mushrooms.
Waitress: What about the cheese?
Me: No, just the vegetables.
Waitress:  Yes...cheese is a vegetable, ain't it?
Me: No...cheese is a dairy product.  It is not a vegetable.
Waitress: Then howcome them vegetarians eat cheese?

What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment