Wednesday, March 17, 2010

birthday dinner #2 (lyn)

Shari knows how much I love lobster, so for my birthday celebration with the girls (all moms from Horace Mann), she selects a place I’ve never been to:  Francisco Centro Vasco.  She says the lobster’s are never less than three pounds.  I do some internet research and learn that lobster meat represents about 20% of a lobster.  That means that a 3-pound lobster is only 9.6 ounces which translates to 5.5 points.  That’s a lot less than the 9 points I consumed this afternoon when I took a very small piece of Karen’s delicious homemade cake.

The restaurant is homey and comfortable and not too crowded.  The five of us have a great little table and start with sangria.  I don’t usually drink, but tonight I have two glasses.  It tastes like punch.  I avoid the bread so I can eat the 3-pound lobster guilt-free, even though I have to have the drawn butter.  I actually like the act of taking apart a lobster.  It's messy, and challenging, but the reward is worth it.  Someone orders fried chips and they are too good to resist.  For dessert, a flam with a candle arrives at the table, along with singing waiters.  Despite requesting five forks, I eat more of it than I should.  But hey, it’s my birthday and it tastes so good. 


(Note:  I deleted the faces of my beautiful friends as too many of them were not happy with this photo.  Now they all just look scary;  they're not).

I’m very lucky to have such good friends.  Better than the food were the many laughs.  Starting with the car ride there (we took the worst possible route, through Times Square on Saint Patrick’s Day) and ending with the car ride home (dropping off Tijana who parked a car-ride away from the restaurant). I hope these same people are in my life when I celebrate my 80th.



No comments:

Post a Comment