Friday, March 12, 2010

coming out of the closet (lyn)

Four years ago, on March 4th, 2006, I went on my last serious shopping spree.  I was working round the clock, making a lot of money, and needed new clothes.  I went to Bergdorf’s (my favorite department store), and bought some beautiful Jil Sanders clothes, all on sale.  This included:

  • Black cotton pants
  • A Black linen straight skirt with a little bit of sheer chiffon around the hem
  • A Black nylon skirt with a scalloped hem
  • A navy suit, including a jacket, pants and skirt
 In April, I lost my job.  My new clothes went to the back of the closet.

Then I gained weight, and my unworn, new clothes no longer fit.  But even when I purged my closet last year of a lot of skinny clothes, I kept my favorites.  I don't think I believed they would ever fit again;  I just could not bring myself to part with them.

Today I am ready to try them on.  I take them out of the closet where I store clothes I don’t wear (either out of season, don’t fit, or am keeping for nostalgic reasons).  I fall in love with every piece all over again. 

I try each piece on and am ecstatic that everything fits, and looks great.  If I ever have a job interview again, I have a nice suit to wear.

I’m ready now for the Prada trenchcoat.  I remember when I bought this too.

Late November, 2006.  I had a $380 Prada credit, and used it toward an expensive, size 40 (about a size 6) beige trench coat.  This gorgeous coat has sat in my closet ever since.  I’ve never worn it.  It’s been too small.  Imagine how much bigger I was for a coat to be too small.  Coats, like shoes, are one of the few items of clothing that should be resistant to weight increases.  Apparently this coat was not.

Robyn (who has an excellent sense of fashion) stops by just as I am trying on the coat.   It fits and looks fabulous.  We both agree that If I were to go to Prada today, and if I were working and making money, I would purchase this exact coat again in exactly this size.  I can’t wait to wear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment