Tuesday, March 16, 2010

on the road again (m)

During one of the worst rainstorms in history, we leave for Florida for Sam's baseball games.  Harrison is headed to Turkey the same night with his Latin class for an educational trip during his Spring break.  My brother, Phil, and his family are camped out at our house because they have no heat or electricity.  Flights at Logan are either delayed or cancelled.

In essence, my family situation looks like the opening scene in Home Alone.  All we need is my mother but she, we would later find out, is home without phone service since Verizon screwed up something on her street.

T, Harrison and I head to the airport.  We arrive in time for originally scheduled flights but have plenty of time once there since everything is off schedule.  We have "dinner" at one of those airport lounges, but everything I want is "not available" since the plane, ship or other vehicle that provides the food couldn't get in because of the bad weather.  I settle on the fish and chips...take the batter off the fish, skip the tartar sauce and eat only three fries.  I think I'm hungrier when I finish than when I started.  Plus, my hands smell like low tide from picking off the batter.

Arrive in Florida after midnight. It's freezing.  I am underdressed.  For the week.

What a bust.

No comments:

Post a Comment