Tuesday, March 16, 2010

birthday dinner #1 (lyn)

Alexander and I are meeting my sister Valerie, her husband, and one of her amazing sons, Jason, for dinner at Wolfgangs-  one of the city’s best steakhouses.  I decide to wear a skirt I bought in early September, surprised that it still fits.  It’s a knit skirt with an elastic waist. 


We leave the house and see the bus across the street, so Alexander and I sprint to catch up.  As I’m running to the bus I feel something near my knees.  I look down and see my skirt.  It’s actually fallen off.  Thankfully I have a coat on.  I’m laughing so hard I almost miss the bus. 

Arriving at Wolfgang’s, it is easy to forget how bad the economy still is.  The place is packed.  Steaks are $50 each, ala carte, and you can barely move.  Two large groups before us leave before being seated, as their wait is too long (even with a reservation).  We shortly do the same.  Our 7 o’clock reservation is becoming 7:30 and still, we are not seated and it looks like another half hour before we will be.  Jason calls over to another great steakhouse, Bobby Van’s, and they can take our party of five immediately.

We jump in two cabs and arrive within five minutes.  We are seated at a circular table, in a corner, near a window.  Perfect.  We all order steaks and appetizers (mine was a sumptuous tuna tartare).  We have sides of spinach, home fries, and asparagus for the table.  I eat only half my steak, take small servings of the sides, and indulge a few forkfuls of chocolate mouse cake with whipped cream for dessert.  The meal is made perfect by the people at the table.


My last birthday in my 50's is just as I'd like all my birthdays to be.  

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:10 PM EDT

    happy belated birthday....
    not only do you look great..you are a great person and a great friend......

    ReplyDelete