Sunday, March 28, 2010

chicken parmigiana (lyn)

Today is dedicated to completing an application to QuestBridge, “a non-profit program that links bright, motivated low-income students with educational and scholarship opportunities at some of the nation's best colleges.” The due date is tomorrow.  The long application requires several essays of varying lengths, as well as informational stuff.  Alexander’s been working on it for the past two days.  I decide to make a nice dinner in celebration of our submitting this baby on time.

I scour the weight watchers web site for chicken recipes, and settle on one that sounds good for Chicken Parmigiana.  I buy the best ingredients.  Not just chicken, but Murray’s organic chicken.  And not just a can of Hunt’s tomato sauce.  But Rao’s tomato sauce, which I heard was great.  I want this to be especially delicious, since Passover begins tomorrow.

I decide to cook the chicken in the morning so I don’t’ lose my motivation to make a big meal by evening. 

Around 4, Alexander asks what’s for dinner.  “Chicken, “ I say. That’s not answer enough.  “What kind of chicken?”  I don’t dare tell him it’s from a ww recipe, so I say, “Chicken Parmigiana.”  “Wait, isn’t that the one with tomato sauce?  No!!!!  You know I hate tomato sauce.”  You do? I think.  Since when?

I pretend not to hear him and hope that the melted cheese on top will dispel his new-found dislike for tomato sauce.

Around 3, Alexander says, “I’m just going to take a lunch break.  I’m almost done.”  His almost done translates to  “Just a few more hours left.”  And, given that he arose from bed at 11:45, his breakfast was eaten around 12:30.  So breaking for lunch two and half hours later is not okay.   

Finally, around 8, we submit the application electronically.  It’s give us a taste of the college application process.  Not fun.

Ignoring Alexander’s earlier plea, I layer the chicken between the tomato sauce and top with part-skim shredded mozzarella.  I bake at 350 for 30 minutes and remove from the oven.  It looks great and is.  We both love it. 

You would never know this is a weight watchers recipe.  It’s that good.   

No comments:

Post a Comment