Thursday, March 11, 2010

some expert medical advice (m)

After dropping H off to school this morning, I head to the orthopedic surgeon's office to deliver the MRI films and have my right knee (the newly injured one) examined.  The appointment was for 8:30 a.m. and there's only one other person in the waiting room.  I am waiting for the Physician's Assistant, J, who will be meeting with me this morning.  Dr. McDreamy is in Haiti, saving lives.

I get called in at 9:15 a.m.  Really....how can this guy be so late this early in the morning?  Now I'm jammed on the other end with the dental hygienist whom I'm seeing at 10 a.m.

J holds the films up to the lightboard and shows me the inner workings of my knee.  Good news.  No meniscus tear.  Diagnosis: patella tendonitis.  I don't care.  Just drain the fluid, give me a shot of cortisone and I'll be on my way, I tell him.   He smiles and says that this is a non-surgical issue and that I need to step up the bike workouts.  Then he adds: "Oh...and have you thought about losing some weight?" 

Have. I. Thought. About. Losing. Weight.

I wanted to grab him by the shirt collar and say, "Listen, Pal, since September that's ALL I've thought about.  I think about it night and day.  I have memorized the points for just about every food item.  I measure my All-Bran cereal.  I even have a flippin' blog about it".

Instead, I smiled and said.  "Good Idea.  I'll give it a shot."

No comments:

Post a Comment