Monday, March 15, 2010

three perfect gifts (lyn)

My birthday is tomorrow but today I get three gifts that last September felt unattainable.

Gift #1
I am in Tod’s looking at purses.  For the past three years, I have put aside the birthday and holiday money my parents have generously given me.  I have finally accumulated enough to by a purse.  It’ll probably take me another year to actually make a choice, but today I go looking.  After dropping in Bergdorf’s to look at the Balenciaga bags, I conclude that I am not crazy in love with any of this season’s colors.  Next I go to the Tod’s store, where a beautiful, young and totally approachable salesgirl  (very un-Tod’s like) helps me.  I try on several purses and fall in like with two.  Hope, my delightful salesgirl, even volunteers to take pictures of the purses so I can email them to M, my purse consultant.  She even wants to take pictures of me carrying the purses.  While she is snapping away, I tell her to avoid my face as I am having another dreadful hair day (it’s still raining for the fourth day in a row).  Suddenly Hope blurts out, “You are so skinny.”  Perhaps this is a new selling technique taught by Tod’s management.  I imagine a staff meeting where the top sales executive says to the group, “Always find a way to compliment your clients.  If it’s even remotely possible, without looking foolish, tell them they look skinny.  They will love you for it, feel good about themselves, and be more inclined to purchase something.”  It almost works.  But I restrain myself and buy nothing.  

Gift #2
I need casual black pants.  I no longer have any that fit.  I walk over to Bloomingdales and start with the black jeans.  I actually fit into the size 28’s, but all I can find in black are these pants ridiculously named jeggings.  The are denim pants that fit like leggings.  I don’t like them.  Next I go over and look at the size 6 DKNY casual black pants.  They look great but have a slightly baggy look.  “They are supposed to look like that,” the salesgirl says.  Then she adds, “ You have a perfect body.”  I look at her quizzically and she says, “Why, don’t you think so?  People would kill for a shape like yours.”  Bloomingdales must have a more aggressive strategy for closing the sale than even Tod’s.  I’m about to buy the pants, but then remember that I should first go through all my old clothes.  Maybe I'll find a pair I like that I've forgotten about.

Gift #3
I return home, my wallet still intact, and very happy with my two non-cash gifts.  Then I email M the pictures of the purses and this is her response, which is my most favorite gift of all, for she's not even trying to sell me something!


From: m
Subject:    Re: so now I'm down to these choices....what do you think?
Date:    March 15, 2010 3:30:18 PM EDT
To:    lyn

First of all, you look skinny, skinny.  Wow.

I love the first Tod's in the blue.  Very cool. Looks great on you.   I like the second Tod's shape but not wild about the trim.

The Balenciaga in white/sand would be my first choice.

Skinny bastard.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment