Monday, March 29, 2010

the first night of passover (lyn)

The morning does not start well.

Had planned to walk with Karen.  Get up at 6:30 and see it is raining.  Text Karen and get no reply.  It really is more drizzly than rainy.  Get dressed and wait.  Text Karen again.  This time she calls (she’s very reliable).  Apparently she had texted me to say that because it was raining, she was passing.  The text she sends at 6:30am arrives at noon.  So much for the reliability of my iPhone.  I walk anyway.

Come home, shower, and attempt to make a cup of coffee on my Keurig.  Forget to put the cup underneath so the coffee goes all over my counter.  Clean the counter, wipe up the spilled hot coffee, and begin again.  Make the exact same mistake a second time.  Can one actually be this stupid twice?

Take Alexander to his pediatrician for his annual check-up.  Then have my hair colored and nails polished.  Come home and put on a pair of charcoal wool pants that I last wore in 2006.  Need to look good for tonight’s Passover dinner at Valerie’s.




I measure time passing now in terms of weight lost.  I last saw my parents at Thanksgiving, 15 pounds ago;  I last saw some of the other people there in September, or, 35 pounds ago.

We arrive around six, and most everyone is already there.  I take off my coat, and really, I think my mother actually gasps.  “You are so thin, I can’t believe it.”  I also hear, “You look great.  Have you been working out a lot?”  and, “You’re not going to lose anymore weight are you?  You’re perfect now.”  But the best comment was from my dad.  “Well, you can’t lose anymore weight to look better so maybe you should consider dying your hair blond.  Everyone looks better as a blond.  Even a monkey.”  Though I can’t be 100% sure, I think he means it as a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment